Something wonderful is happening in Berlin
Art collective creates space to meet with God
Normally church services happen inside of churches and community halls. But not in Berlin. Through The Limelight Collective, the Salvation Army is creating a new space to encounter God through art. In the art collective's space in Prenzlauer Berg, people from different backgrounds are connecting with each other and with God through art. Now expansion is underway to create more space for the growing art collective and build a new professional-standard stage.
Experienced artist and manager, Shaw and Katharina Coleman founded The Limelight Collective in 2016 in Kastanienallee, one of Berlin's creative hubs. Their desire is to 'Share art and bring people joy' and they give artists the opportunity to express their faith through experimenting with various art forms. The professional support of artists, opportunities for spiritual discussions, space for Bible study, and work with families and children are all in a day’s work for the Limelight Collective. A recent successful project was ARTventskalender, an initiative which financially supported artists during the Corona pandemic. Over 14 artists were supported through the project.
The Limelight Collective will dedicate a whole floor of Kastanienallee 71 to be a space for art and spiritual encounter.
The building works cost about 60.000 EUR and two thirds will be financed by the Salvation Army. For the remaining 20.000 EUR The Limelight Collective is looking for donors to support their work financially.
Would you like to help to tear down walls (metaphorical and actual) so that art and culture can grow?
Here are some of the ways you can help:
- Sponsor part of all of the installation of a sprung dance floor (up to € 10 153),
- Sponsor part or all of the removal a walls to create bigger performance spaces (up to € 2416),
- Purchase equipment (up to € 5240)
- Sponsor the salary of a construction worker (up to € 10 240)
How the upgraded Limelight Collective will serve the local community
- A dance space and artist's studio that can be offered on a sessional basis:
- Professional artists will offer workshops and courses, on subjects such as how find employment as an artist,
- In cooperation with other artists, Shaw and his team will create productions and exhibitions for the general public.
- The Limelight Collective helps people meet with God through creativity.
- Enhanced administration area to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the Limelight Collective.
Do you want to be a partner in this community-changing project? Shaw Coleman said “People from all parts of society feel accepted in this space, they encounter Christian spirituality and become an active part of the community”.
One artist who participates in The Limelight Collective’s programmes said, “I encounter God here in ways I don’t anywhere else!”.
To find out more, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.